Skip to content

International Student Services

Orange Arrow Academic and English Support
Orange Arrow Health Care and Insurance Information
Orange Arrow Driver's License
Orange Arrow Social Security Cards
Orange Arrow Taxes
Orange Arrow Prepare for your Arrival
Orange Arrow Career Services, Jobs, OPT and Internships
Orange Arrow Transfer after Snow College


Academic and English Support

English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes

Academic English skills are an essential part of success in college, and if your native language is not English, you will need to demonstrate your language proficiency.

When you apply to Snow College for direct entry into mainstream college classes, we require one of the following scores from an English language placement test:

  • IELTS – 6.0
  • TOEFL – 63 (minimum 15 per section)
  • Duolingo – 100 (minimum 85 per section)

If your academic English skills need improvement, Snow College has an excellent English as a Second Language Program (ESL) to help you succeed.

Created in 1976, Snow College has one of the best English language programs in the western United States. With its small classes (12 students on average), convenient campus, and excellent teachers, Snow College offers some real advantages over larger schools.

How does the ESL program work?

  • Students attend classes 5 days a week for 4-5 hours a day.
  • When you arrive on campus, you will take an English test to help determine your level.
  • Snow College ESL classes are divided into 4 levels, with each one helping you improve your skills in grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
  • Most students take 8 weeks to pass each of the 4 levels, so you could finish all 4 levels in just 2 semesters.
  • Classes taken in levels 3 and 4 count as 11.5 credits toward graduation.
  • You will have a seamless transition into mainstream college classes after completing the ESL program with a passing grade of 85%.

Is there more help available?

There is! We also run a regular schedule of Conversation Classes, which help you practice English with native speakers in a more relaxed, natural setting. There’s no set curriculum or homework – just turn up and talk! It’s a great way to meet new people, work on your speaking skills or accent, and improve your listening skills.

If you’re interested in receiving extra academic or linguistic support, get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to explain some more options.

In-person and online tutoring

At Snow College, we have many ways to support your academic journey. For example, our Academic Advising Center has a wealth of online resources and it's easy to make an appointment with them any time. In addition, our Math Lab and Writing Lab give you daily access to professors and student-tutors and we even offer free online tutoring through which is available on-demand, 24 hours a day. Learn more about our Tutoring Services.


“People are very welcoming here, and the professors are willing to help at any time,” says Durli Ahojayeva of Turkmenistan, who is in her fifth year at Snow and is studying software engineering.


Health Care and Insurance

LewerMark LogoThe cost of medical services in the United States can be quite expensive, especially when treating major issues or emergencies. For this reason, all international students attending Snow College are required to purchase a health insurance policy through LewerMark, our current health insurance partner. If you are an exchange student, government-sponsored student, or a US passport holder, we can waive this requirement.

The coverage offered through the Snow College LewerMark policy is better than most U.S. citizens have with their own policies. For example, the policy offers 500,000 USD coverage per illness or accident. It also has evacuation and repatriation benefits.

Snow College will assist students in knowing how to go about purchasing a policy. You will automatically be registered for insurance once you register for classes.

For more details on the policy we offer, see

U.S. Healthcare and Emergency Procedures

You may not be familiar with healthcare or emergency procedures in the United States. Below are some essential guidelines that can help you feel more prepared and confident in handling medical emergencies and making the best decisions for your health.


If you need a prescription, it can be sent to (and collected from) the Ephraim Walmart Pharmacy. Snow College offers a free weekly Walmart Bus to all students.

Clinics and Doctor Visits:

It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the nearest hospital or urgent care center in case of non-life-threatening medical issues. Additionally, make sure you have health insurance coverage to help with medical expenses. 

We do not have an on-campus clinic, but we do have options that are close by. Please tell our office in advance about clinic/hospital appointments so we can arrange the time to take you to one of the following: Ephraim Clinic (No COPAY), Sanpete Valley Hospital (ER) ($100 COPAY), Manti Family Clinic ($20 COPAY), and Mount Pleasant clinic ($20 COPAY).


In a medical emergency, it's crucial to act fast. Don't hesitate to seek help immediately to ensure the safety and well-being of yourself and those around you.

In the United States, 911 is the emergency telephone number you dial to request assistance from the police, fire department, or ambulance. It's free and accessible from any phone.

Please call 911 first, and then a member of the CGE, if you or someone around you experiences any of these symptoms or any other serious health issue:

  • Severe injuries: This could be from accidents, falls, or any situation where there's significant harm to the body.
  • Heart attack or stroke: These are serious medical conditions that require immediate treatment to prevent further damage.
  • Severe allergic reactions: Some people can have severe allergic reactions to things like food, insect stings, or medications, which can be life-threatening if not treated quickly.
  • Severe breathing difficulties: This could be due to asthma attacks, choking, or other respiratory problems that make it hard to breathe. 

Remember, when you call 911, stay as calm as possible and clearly explain the situation. Give your location, describe what happened, and follow any instructions the dispatcher gives you. Do not move the affected person unless it's absolutely necessary: Moving someone who is injured or in distress can make their condition worse. Wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive and let them handle the situation. 

Ambulance rides (for emergencies only!):

In most cases, ambulance costs are 100% covered by Lewermark insurance. If you are not covered by Lewermark insurance, please go over your specific policy to see what services are in- or out-of-network.


Utah Driver's License

Monument Valley RoadObtaining a Utah Driver’s License is possible for international students. If you have a license in your home country, you will need to take a written test and a practical driving test and pay a fee. If you don’t have a license in your country, you will need to take a driving license course before you can take the written and driving tests. To help people pass the Utah permit test, you can also take a free permit practice test designed by the Utah Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

For more information, see You must have an appointment in order to apply for a license. Click here to schedule your appointment. You can also fill out your application online here.

You will need to bring the following information to the DMV when you apply:

  • Valid foreign driver’s license from another country (if you have one)
  • Certificate of completion of a Utah driver education course (if you do not have a current foreign driver’s license)
  • Valid passport with visa
  • Form I-94 (I-94’s can be printed from the I-94 website)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Form SSA-L676: “Refusal to Process SSN Application”. This will require you to apply for a Social Security Number.
  • Proof of Utah Residency (two of the following)
    • Bank Statements
    • Court Document
    • Rental contract
    • Major credit card bill
    • School transcript
    • Utility Bill (cell phone bills are not accepted)


Social Security Number

Social Security CardSocial Security numbers are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. Social Security numbers are used to report your earnings and wages to the government. More details can be found here:


Job Offer

If you have a job offer (on-campus or off-campus), you will need to apply in person at the closest Social Security office located in Provo, Utah. Please work with the Center for Global Engagement to find out when the next Social Security trip will take place. You will need to gather the following documents:

  • Passport
  • I-20: **Please make sure your personal information on your passport is the SAME as the information on your I-20.
  • I-94: Print this from
  • Letter from Employer on letterhead, signed by your boss
  • Letter from the Center for Global Engagement
  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Application (from the Center for Global Engagement and Social Security office)


Drivers License Only

If you need a “Social Security Number Denial” letter in order to apply for a Utah driver license, please bring the following items to the Center for Global Engagement for help applying:

  • Passport
  • I-20: **Please make sure your personal information on your passport is the  SAME as the information on your I-20.
  • I-94: Print this form from:
  • Letter from the Center for Global Engagement office
  • Application (from CGE or Social Security office).

For more information please contact Nobue Swenson: ude.wons@nosnews.eubon


Filing Tax Returns in the USA

International students going to school in the United States should file an IRS form(s) even if you don't have to pay taxes (you still need to file a form). Forms and tax returns typically must be filed before April 15th each year. Snow College cannot provide you specific tax advice, so you should carefully consider your own situation and determine what tax form to file. Please see our FAQs for more information about filing taxes as an international student or scholar.