Skip to content

About Snow College

Why is it called Snow College? Is it because of the weather?

We get asked this question a lot! While we do enjoy beautiful, crisp winters here in Utah (as well as spring, summer and fall), our name has nothing to do with snow. In fact, it's conneced to our origins. Let's start at the beginning...

On November 5, 1888, forty years after the first settlers came to Ephraim and eight years before Utah was admitted to the Union, Snow College began as the Sanpete Stake Academy founded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter‑day Saints. Twelve years later in 1900, the school was renamed Snow Academy in honor of the then-President of The LDS Church, Lorenzo Snow, and his cousin Erastus Snow, who was instrumental in helping settle the Sanpete Valley.

Over the next 100 years, we continued to grow and evolve. In 1998, Snow College merged with the former Sevier Valley Applied Technology Center, located in Richfield. The Richfield campus adds a strong program of technical education offerings and a growing number of academic courses to complement the offerings on our Ephraim campus. Today, Snow College is an accredited state college offering liberal arts and technical education programs, online degrees, short‑term training, various Associate Degrees and even two four-year Baccalaureate Degrees.

What does Snow's International Department do?

The Center for Global Engagement works collaboratively with faculty, student groups, and departments throughout Snow College to provide and support meaningful global activities, discussions, projects, and opportunities for the Snow College community. At Snow College, international students enjoy our small class sizes, a beautiful, safe campus, and excellent teachers.

Student Zayd Dridi of Tunisia explains: “At Snow, you’re not just a number. Your professors know you by name and are concerned about your success.”

Do you have more questions?

Explore our Interactive Viewbook, review our FAQs below, email us at any time, or use our Live Chat to speak with our current international students.



Your American Higher Education experience can include Years 1 & 2 at Snow College in Utah, and then Years 3 & 4 at a university of your choice. This gives you both an Associate's Degree and a Bachelor's Degree, and enables you to earn two degrees for the price of one! See this page to learn more about the benefits community colleges offer, which makes a US education accessible and affordable.

To get more information about our academic programs, please visit our academic program page.

If you are in academic classes, you will register with your Academic Advisor. If you are admitted into our ESL program, you will take our English Placement exam and an ESL faculty member will help you register for classes.

The Center for Global Engagement office does not offer tutoring or academic support, but several departments at Snow College do. For example, our Math Lab, Speech Lab, and Writing Lab give you daily access to professors and student-tutors, and we even offer free online tutoring through which is available on-demand, 24 hours a day. Learn more about our Academic Support Services.

We offer over 90 programs at Snow, including two Bachelor's degrees in Commercial Music and Software Engineering.

If you’re interested in earning a bachelor’s degree in a different field, you can transfer to any university in the state of Utah. In addition to in-state universities, Snow College has agreements with universities around the U.S. to give international students more options and facilitate the transfer process. Learn more about your transfer options here.

Admissions and Testing

International students are not required to submit SAT or ACT results for admission.

Both exams are not required for admission. However, students without an English Language proficiency test score will have to take our ESL placement test when they arrive and if your scores are not equivalent to an IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 63, then you will most likely need to first enroll in our ESL Program before you can take mainstream college classes.

Yes, we do accept Duolingo. The minimum score is 100 (minimum 85 per section).

Yes, you can be offered conditional admission to the ESL program at Snow College if your English proficiency scores are not high enough.

After you reach a certain level of English proficiency, you can join regular academic classes.

You can chat and meet with international students through our Unibuddy Ambassadors program. To talk with one of our ambassadors, please visit the link to Unibuddy.

If you have been accepted to more than one institution (and hence, you have multiple Form I-20s) and you paid the fee using the SEVIS ID number of another institution, but you wish to attend Snow College, you will not have to pay the fee again.

However, you do need to update your I-901 SEVIS form. Here’s what to do:

  • Login to and click on Check I-901 Status.
  • Enter the information you entered the first time when you paid the fee. This will pull up your current record, linked to the school you want to change out of.
  • When it appears, follow the steps to transfer the fee (which you already paid) to now indicate Snow College.
  • Keep all the Form I-20s you received from all of the schools for your records, but when you go to the Embassy/Consulate and U.S. Port of Entry, make sure you only show the Snow College I-20.
  • To avoid any complications in the future, you should also contact the other schools you do not wish to attend and have them cancel your SEVIS record after you have been given an F-1 visa for Snow College.

Tuition, Scholarships and Payments

Students can pay online through My.Snow.Edu (our student portal). See here to learn about your options to pay the full balance, or to sign up for a monthly payment plan.

Students can pay online through My.Snow.Edu (our student portal). See our webpage to learn how to sign up for a monthly payment plan.

Yes, we offer scholarships to our international students. Please review our Cost and Scholarships page and apply using our International Student Scholarship Application.

If you are interested in applying for other scholarships as well, you can check out the Snow College central scholarship page.

  1. Go to and click LOGIN
  2. You will then see a series of links at the top of your page. Click on Financial Aid.
  3. Click on the ‘Award’ link.
  4. Click on the ‘Award for Aid Year’ link, and then choose the applicable academic year. Once you have done that, hit the submit button.
  5. Choose the ‘Accept Award Offer’ link. If that tab is not appearing in grey, you may need to first accept the terms and conditions by clicking the ‘Terms and Conditions’ tab.
  6. Finally, on the ‘Accept Award Offer’ page, you will see a listing of your scholarships that you can either accept or decline.
  7. If you have questions, call us at 435-283-7150 or send an e-mail to

For Admitted or Current Students

Yes, airport pick-up service is available each semester. Learn more about travelling to and around Snow College in Utah.

Yes, it is mandatory to attend the International Student Orientation. It's very informative and a great way to meet people and make new friends! Orientation is typically held two days before classes begin each term and you can check the exact dates here.

Please follow this guide to learn how to change your address on My.Snow.Edu.

As much as we'd like to assist, it's important to clarify that we are not lawyers and therefore cannot provide immigration advising. Immigration law is complex and varies widely based on individual circumstances and jurisdictions. For accurate and reliable guidance on immigration matters, we strongly recommend consulting with a qualified immigration attorney or accredited representative who can offer personalized assistance tailored to your specific situation. They can provide the expertise and support necessary to navigate the complexities of immigration law effectively.

On occasion, we partner with an attorney that provides free immigration workshops for students that can help them get a better understanding of laws or regulations that pertain to them.

Meanwhile, there are some areas that we are happy to assist you in, such as:

  • F-1 Student requirements
  • Change of Visa status
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Reinstatement
  • Severe Economic Hardship (SEH)
  • Graduation and transfer to other universities

Campus Life

Snow College Housing and Residence life offers good quality, affordable housing on campus. You can explore your housing options by visiting our housing page.

Applications for housing typically open 4-9 months before your academic term starts. Please fill out the on-campus housing application as early as possible for the best accommodation options.

All Snow College students can receive mail at the Student Mail Center on campus (not at your on-campus housing). You can request a mail slot any time via the online form. Please see our Mail Services FAQs for more information about postal services on campus.

There's so many ways to stay active and make new friends, whether you’re participating in intramural or team sports with hundreds of other students, or joining one of over 50 clubs. You can get involved in weekly campus activities, engage in leadership opportunities, or join one of our group trips on an adventure in Utah’s National Parks. Learn more about student life at Snow College.

Student Services: Healthcare, Careers, Finances

Yes. The cost of medical services in the United States can be quite expensive, especially when treating major issues or emergencies. For this reason, all international students attending Snow College are required to purchase a health insurance policy through LewerMark, our current health insurance partner. You will automatically be registered for insurance once you register for classes. For more details on the policy we offer, see


No, we do not require immunization records. However, you are required to show proof of BCG vaccination or you will have to do a TB test when you arrive.

To access your Health Insurance Card, please login via the Lewermark website.

For New Students:

  • You will need to create a login. Please enter your Date of Birth (DOB), as well as your Badger ID Number.

For Returning Students:

  • If you have already created a login, you will need to enter your Badger ID Number.
  • Then put in your password. If this is your first time logging in, your password will be your DOB (Month Day Year), but you will be able to change it.

When entering your Date of Birth, YOU MUST INCLUDE AN EXTRA 0 for single digits (For example: Enter the Month Day Year for March 5, 2004 as 03052004).

If you are not enrolled in the system, or are not able to access your account, please contact the Center for Global Engagement so that we can help you with the process.

Yes, according to U.S. law, international students can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours per week during the summer. You will need a Social Security Number to work in the U.S. See our related FAQ below for more information on how to obtain one. Explore more of our website to learn more about on- and off-campus job opportunities.

Having a U.S. bank account can help make local payments easier, such as housing, food, shopping, sightseeing or tuition. You can contact a local reputable bank upon arrival in Utah, or you can set up an account with an international financial services company such as or

When you open a U.S. bank account, you will need to provide various documents such as your passport, student visa, an I-94 form or an I-20 form. In addition, you may need to provide proof of residency such as your housing or apartment rental agreement and a recent utility bill.

A Social Security Number (SSN) is crucial for identity verification, financial transactions, employment, taxes, and healthcare. It must be kept safe to prevent identity theft, financial loss, and unauthorized access to personal information. You should never share it by phone or email. Protecting your SSN ensures security in various aspects of life and maintains your eligibility for benefits and services.

Your SSN stays with you for your entire life. If you leave the U.S. and come back, your SSN will never change.

Social Security Numbers are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States to report your earnings and wages to the government. More details can be found here:

If you have a job offer (on-campus or off-campus), you will need to apply in person at the closest Social Security office located in Provo, Utah. Please contact the Center for Global Engagement to find out when the next Social Security trip will take place.

When you apply, you will need to bring the following documents:

  • Passport
  • I-20 Form
  • I-94: Print this from
  • Letter from Employer on letterhead, signed by your boss
  • Letter from the Center for Global Engagement
  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Application (from the Center for Global Engagement and Social Security office)

Yes. International students going to school in the United States should file an IRS form 8843 whether you have to file a tax return or not. Forms and tax returns typically must be filed before April 15th each year.

Snow College cannot provide you specific tax advice so you should carefully consider your own situation and determine what tax form to file.

The US taxing agency known as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides information for foreign students and scholars and a publication every year called Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

There are a variety of situations for international students that can initiate the need to file with the IRS, such as:

  • If an international student or scholar did not receive any income, they need to file Form 8843.
  • If an international student or scholar did receive income in the last calendar year, then they would need to file Form 8843 and most likely Form 1040NR-EZ.
  • Dependents (including spouses and children of all ages) are also required to file Form 8843 if they were in the US during the previous calendar year.
  • Every individual, regardless of whether they are one family, will need to file their own Form 8843 and send it to the appropriate address included on the tax form or tax form instructions in a separate envelope.

Sprintax is an online company that can help you file your taxes for a fee. We have referred students to them for many years, as they provide a very comprehensive service with intuitive software and helpful instructions. You can refer to the Sprintax Instruction Document for more information and help, in addition to the videos. also has a helpful site which you can refer to for tax questions.

To obtain a driver's license in Utah, international students need to present documentation proving their identification, residence, and legal status in the country. Students also need to show proof of Utah residency and, if applicable, their Social Security Number (SSN). Additionally, the state mandates that applicants pass their driving and written examinations. International students may occasionally need to provide proof of their International Driving Permit (IDP). For more information please see the Local Driver's License Division website.

You must have an appointment in order to apply for a license. We strongly encourage students to take the following documents to their appointments:

  • Passport and student visa (necessary)
  • Application form (necessary)
  • Certificate of completion of a driver education course
  • Original I-20 Form
  • I-94 Form: Print this from
  • Proof of residency such as your apartment rental agreement and a recent utility bill
  • SSN (If applicable)