Skip to content
Snow College will be closed November 24 & 25 for Thanksgiving.

Transfer Articulation

General Transfer Guidelines

  1. Snow College accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities accredited by any of the six regional accreditation bodies:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • New England Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association
    • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Western Association of Colleges and Schools

  2. Grades in individual classes must be D- or higher to be eligible for GE or elective credit except a minimum grade of C- is required GE credit in the following GE areas:
    • American Institutions (AI) 
    • English (E1 & E2)
    • Quantitative Literacy (MA)

  3. Courses must be college level (rather than remedial or developmental.) At Utah institutions, this usually means courses numbered 1000 or above.
  4. Due to the age of coursework, some credit may only transfer as elective credit. Course credit awarded is dependent on applicability and/or academic department discretion.
  5. There is no limit to the number of transfer credits which may be accepted.
  6. Transfer courses will not be accepted from other institutions for the purpose of posting a grade change or repeat on a course previously taken at Snow College.
  7. The transfer credit evaluation is subject to audit and reevaluation.
  8. Transfer credit must be received at least three weeks prior to registration.

Articulation Process

  1. The transfer articulation process is how the college grants credit for courses Snow College students have completed at other institutions. Proper transfer articulation relies less on how a decision will affect a particular student and more on how a decision will affect all students and the integrity of a Snow College education.
  2. It is the student's responsibility to order an OFFICIAL transcript from the previous institution(s) and provide any Course Descriptions or "Master Course Content Syllabi with Outcomes" that might be required to process the transcript. As a courtesy to our students, the Transfer Articulation Specialist will research the necessary information to complete evaluations and determine course equivalency. However, if the information is not easily located, the student will be asked to provide it.
  3. Transcripts are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. A transcript sent electronically is typically received within 2 to 3 business days. A transcript sent by mail can take up to 2 weeks depending on the mail service and where it originated. Most transcripts are articulated and credits posted within 1 to 2 business days depending on volume and whether courses need to be evaluated by the department. If a transcript needs to be sent for evaluation, the process of posting the credit may take 2 weeks or longer. Students are notified by email once their credits have been posted. Students may then find out how their credits have been accepted through their Badger Web account.

Official Transcripts

An OFFICIAL transcript is a transcript received by the Snow College Articulation Office in one of the following ways:

  1. Paper transcripts can be mailed directly from the college or university to:
    Snow College
    Registration Office
    150 E College Ave.
    Ephraim, UT  84627
  2. Paper transcripts can also be delivered in person to the Transfer Articulation Specialist provided they are unopened in the original envelope bearing an official seal. Courses must appear on an official transcript from the sending institution. Transcripts issued to the student will not be accepted.
  3. Electronic transcripts are considered official if they are sent through a secure transcript exchange company (such as National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment) or to as a secured/certified official electronic transcript. (Not as a regular email attachment from anyone other than the transfer institution.)

Unofficial Transcripts

Transcripts received by Snow College through fax, regular email from anyone other than the issuing institution, or outside of a sealed envelope are considered UNOFFICIAL and will not be accepted.

In-State Transcripts 

Official transcripts received from institutions that are among the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) are more easily evaluated.  General Education (GE) degrees and certificates received at any USHE school are honored by all other USHE schools.  In addition, GE credit granted by a USHE school is accepted by all other USHE schools.

Out-of-State Transcripts

Most out-of-state transcripts will require an evaluation as the courses may not be in the Snow College database.  Snow College does NOT automatically accept GE credit granted by an out-of-state school because GE course requirements and expected outcomes vary from state to state.  Students may be asked to provide a "Master Course Content Syllabus with Outcomes" for review by individual departments.

International Transcripts

  • International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved foreign credential evaluation company. Snow College's preferred evaluation company is SpanTran. If you have already had your international transcript evaluated by a foreign credential company, please contact the Registrar's Office at 435-283-7230. Only courses that are equivalent to Snow College's general education courses and direct equivalencies to a student's specific program of choice will be accepted toward a degree. Granting elective credit may be handled on a case by case basis. Select SpanTran Credential Evaluation to start your evaluation.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit 

  • The College Board (an independent, not-for-profit organization) sends transcripts for students who have completed exams for AP credit.  Students may order their results from the College Board website (
  • By state agreement, if students pass an AP exam with a score of three or higher, they will be awarded college credits for each exam passed.
  • A student must receive a score of 3 or higher to receive AP credit on any accepted exam. Credit is not accepted for AP Research nor AP Seminar.
  • These credits will be either ungraded elective credit or ungraded general education credit.  Depending on the AP test score and on department agreements, the credits given may be divided in varying amounts among these types of credit. Questions regarding this credit should be addressed to the Transfer Articulation Office at 435-283-7196. AP credit is not considered resident credit.
  • The fee for AP credit is $10.00 per credit and is posted to a student's financial account at the time the credit is awarded.
  • Note: Many majors will not accept AP credit for courses that are required for major preparation. AP Credit guidelines are subject to change without notice.
    See the chart in the Academic Policies section (here).

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit

Successful completion of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exams may yield credit in general education or provide elective credits. CLEP course work is ungraded and is not considered resident credit. A student may not receive credit for both the exam and corresponding courses completed. Credit is not accepted for all CLEP Exams.

Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (FLATS) Transcripts

  • Snow College grants language credit to students who complete and pass BYU's FLATS exam. Students are responsible for any and all actions required to register for the test and transfer credits back to Snow College. The transcript is sent to Snow College by BYU's Humanities Technology and Research Support Center.
  • The scoring is either Pass (P) or Fail (F). The student receives credit for the language in which they tested and passed. The language test covers 3 courses from 1st-Semester Conversation & Grammar to Intermediate Grammar. Each course is 4 credit hours.
  • Snow College grants up to 12 credits for the FLATS exam and the cost is $10.00 per credit. The student may not take fewer credits than were earned on the test.
  • Enrolled students may earn the credit or exclude up to three previously earned letter grades in lower-division foreign language courses (1010, 1020, and 2010) in the same language.
  • To register for the exam, go to or see the Humanities Division secretary in HU 127A.    

International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam Credit

  • Students must be enrolled at Snow College in order to receive IB credit.
  • Students who earn scores of 5 or above on Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL)IB Examinations may be awarded up to 8 semester hours of credit for each exam (depending on the department). 
  • If a student submits Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Credit, IB credit will be awarded first. If AP credit duplicates IB credit already awarded, AP credit will be reduced by the amount of credit awarded in the specific area.
  • A posting fee will be assessed for each credit hour awarded ($10.00 per credit.) Credits will be posted as transfer credit and will not be graded.

Military Transcripts

  • Snow College accepts the recommendations of the American Council on Education for training completed in the military, provided that equivalent courses are available at Snow College.
  • Snow College accepts a DD214 discharge document for PE elective credits.
  • Military transcripts should be sent through the American Council on Education (ACE.) ACE evaluates the courses and training the service member received thereby providing a course description, equivalent recommendation, and determines how many credits each course is worth.
  • Military transcripts are evaluated by the Transfer Articulation Specialist and any question regarding what credit may be granted is directed to the Registrar. You can obtain a military transcript from one of the following sources: (Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy) (Air Force) (Defense Language Institute)
  • Once the credit from a military transcript has been evaluated, an email is sent to the student/service member informing them how their military credits will transfer, advising them of the cost ($10.00 per credit), and then receiving the student's approval to move forward.
  • The student/service member must meet with an advisor prior to any military credit being posted per Utah State Code 53B-16-107 Credit for Military Service and Training.
  • A student is not required to accept any transfer credit from their military service. A student may also decide to accept only partial credit. Credit and the fees will not be posted to a student's account until the student gives their approval.
  • NOTE: Transferring military credits can affect your eligibility for veteran's benefits. You must talk with a Student Success advisor or the Veterans office before you transfer your credits.

Police Office Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.)

  • Snow College accepts the recommendation of the State of Utah Department of Public Safety Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training for training completed at P.O.S.T.
  • The student must submit a copy of his/her State of Utah Department of Public Safety Certificate of Completion which lists the training completed.
  • Certification of training completed must be submitted to the Transfer Articulation Office at Snow College.
  • Snow College accepts P.O.S.T. for credit as follows:
    1. Five weeks of training (Phase I) are equal to 3 elective credits and 1 PE credit.
    2. Ten weeks of training (Phase 2) are equal to 6 elective credits and 1 PE credit.
    3. Fifteen weeks of training (Phases 1 & 2) are equal to 9 elective credits and 2 PE credits.
  • The maximum number of credits awarded for P.O.S.T. is 11 credits.
  • There is a $10.00 per credit fee for posting these credits.