Skip to content

A Parent's Basic Guide to FERPA

According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Snow College cannot release any information about a student without the student’s permission. If a student would like to give permission for a spouse, parent, or other family member to access their records or speak to a college employee on their behalf, the student must fill out a Consent to Release Student Information form. 

If your student will be deferring admission or taking an extended leave for any reason, including military or church service, it is recommended that they fill out the Consent to Release Student Information form before they leave. By doing this, you will be able to access everything you need to help them get enrolled for an upcoming semester upon their return.

Consent to Release Student Information forms can be revoked by the student at any time. Many students choose to revoke permission upon their return home. Please do not take offense if your student revokes consent. This doesn’t mean that your student doesn’t appreciate your help. It just means that they are taking the appropriate steps to take charge of their own education as they transition into adulthood.

For more information about FERPA, visit the Registrar's page.