What is the annual student loan acknowledgement?
The Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement is an online session that allows students
and parents to see how much they have borrowed, preview what their monthly payments
might be, and explain concepts such as capitalization and the difference between federal
and private loans.
Starting in the 2021-2022 school year, borrowers of Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized
and PLUS loans will be required to complete the Informed Borrowing Confirmation process
once each award year before receiving disbursement of their loan.
What will I gain from the annual student loan acknowledgement?
- Knowing how much you owe in federal student debt will allow you to make informed choices
before agreeing to borrow more money to pay for higher education.
- Calculating the monthly payments and the median salary you can expect to receive after
graduating from college will give you a better understanding of your obligation.
- Breaking down basic loan concepts such as interest accrual, capitalization, and the
difference between private and federal student loans will help you better understand
the balance for repayment.
How do I complete this?
- After May 1st, 2021, visit Studentaid.gov/asla
- Using your FSA ID and password complete the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement requirement.
- Parent PLUS loan borrowers must also complete this requirement.
New Borrowers will need to complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling
in addition to the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement.