|Title||Adult Literacy Director/Coordinator|
|Review Date||November 24, 2014|
|Close Date||November 24, 2014|
|Desired Start Date||ASAP|
|Qualifications||• Bachelor’s degree, with two years of demonstrated instructional experience (may include volunteer work, tutoring, or training).|
• Must be bilingual (speaking and writing) in English and Spanish.
• Must be able to communicate diplomatically with a wide variety of people, including the public, employers, and educators, and collaborate to achieve project goals.
• Ability to speak effectively to large groups is required. Ability to be persuasive is an asset.
• Must have a genuine interest in facilitating and increasing adult basic education opportunities for non-English speakers, and a willingness to learn about the fields of adult literacy and bilingual education.
• Computer literacy is required, including familiarity with the internet and common word processing and spreadsheet programs. Strong organizational skills are needed.
• Flexible scheduling is necessary, as evening and weekend work is required.
• Must have a demonstrated work and learning ethic and the ability to work with little direct supervision. A high level of motivation is required.
|Duties||• Arrange adult and family literacy classes for Latino adults throughout Sanpete County. Select curriculum for program. (Classes will focus on functional literacy and basic interpersonal competency, not academic skills.) Establish class locations and schedules with awareness of Latino culture and patterns of employment. Teach classes, and assist with hiring instructors for classes as needed.|
• Initiate contact with those who would benefit from adult and family literacy programs. Generate interest in and support for the project. Facilitate childcare as needed for implementation of project.
• Write two AEFLA (Adult Education and Family Literacy Act) grants per year and the quarterly reports associated with those grants.
• Manage a $100,000 budget and all state reports associated with the budget.
• Hold monthly teacher’s meetings and supervise tutors and volunteers.
• Plan and hold an awards/graduation ceremony yearly.
• Collaborate with public schools, local agencies, employers, and Snow College to maximize resources. Establish network to lay the foundation for ongoing adult literacy and life skills education in Sanpete County.
• Identify students’ needs and refer them to appropriate agencies and programs.
• Establish protocols for program assessment and evaluation, including pre-testing and post-testing of students and tracking attendance. Collect data for grant evaluation.
• Cooperate with Snow College faculty and staff to train, assign, and supervise Snow College student tutors in an effective manner.
• Publicize project in local communities and at Snow College.
• Attend meetings and conferences to learn more about how to successfully design and manage an adult literacy and life skills program.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
|Additional Information||10-month temporary grant funded by Adult Literacy grant (in cooperation with North and South Sanpete School Districts). Salary: $30,000-$32,000, per 10-month contract. ALL NEW HIRES ARE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.|
|Salary||$30,000 - $32,000|
|Special Instructions to Applicant||Send completed applications and supporting material to: Snow College Human Resources/Personnel Office 150 East College Avenue Ephraim, Utah 84627 firstname.lastname@example.org 435-283-7058, FAX 435-283-6285|
|Required Applicant Documents||To be considered for employment, an applicant must submit the following material:|
1. Cover Letter
2. Snow College application
4. Transcripts (unofficial photocopies acceptable)
5. Name and contact information of three people (references) having firsthand knowledge of professional qualifications.
|Job Status||Accepting Applications|